One of these days, I will start offering memoir workshops.

Writing a memoir is a brilliant way to discover who you are and how you've moved through life. Writing about a memorable time, place, or person in your past can bring you closer to crucial experiences that have made you who you are.

By pinpointing a particular instance, the memoir lends focus and clarity to something that’s lodged in your memory. By cutting away everything that’s extraneous and sharpening your writer’s tools to define the essence of the time, place, or person, you can find the treasure hidden in the thicket of words and images that obscure your memory.

I am slowly thinking though my hippie novel. pulling up details out my memory of my decade of life as a hippie in Rossie, NY.

What is surprising is the strength of my emotions as I relive the past--emotions of a young Sara who still believed she could live out all her dreams and that good things would always overcome any disappointments along the way.

We are not just DNA, not just cells and muscle memory--we are emotional roadmaps that can be so strong that we shy away from looking at them. I believe that we are more complete human beings when we integrate our past into our present and future, and the memoir helps you accomplish that goal.

Comments

Popular Posts