Reading people


I love to read people at least as much as I love to read books.



From my many years as a teacher of writing, I've learned how to read people quickly so that I can communicate better with each individual I teach. If I were to look at a group of people and see them simply as students, I would lose my inspiration. Teaching then becomes mechanical and boring, just an imparting of facts and ideas which could be found in a textbook. I believe that I am of little value to my students if all I do is recite information and then ask them to perform as writers without somehow injecting them with my own enthusiasm and keen desire to write well.

Writing Well
Writing well requires that writers connect with their deepest emotions and motivations. Even a relatively dull and academic research topic such as "endangered species" will reveal the writers' attitudes and priorities through the materials they choose and how they structure their arguments. Helping students find ways to touch their own values and beliefs is the most crucial part of teaching, especially teaching writing.

The best way to renew my inspiration as a teacher is by seeing my students as complete human beings with attitudes, ways of thinking, emotions, and personal histories that affect them in profound ways. To get into their minds in this way, I need to be in the room with them, watching their reactions to what I say. Often, I make somewhat outlandish statements just to observe how they respond. This gives me insight into what it takes to make an impact in their minds.

Moving Online
My college switched to online classes in March, and I've adjusted to all my communications being mediated through the computer. My students have also adjusted and are doing well online, much to their own surprise.





But I miss seeing my students face-to-face, laughing with them and making little jokes, watching their faces change as they think and react, noticing the smells they bring to class and how they dress their bodies according to their culture or personal preferences, and finding ways in which each of them is distinct.

As well, I miss my colleagues, tutorees, church friends, family members, book club buddies, knitting pals, neighbors, co-workers, fellow shoppers, and random folks I meet every day. The rich sensations we get by being physically close to people are far more essential to my happiness than I ever knew.

Most of my encounters with people are now through media--computer, phone, or mail. When your encounters with people are mediated, their small idiosyncrasies (the little quirks that make them endearing) are flattened. Everyone looks like a person, which is okay, but I miss the differences.

I am a Kitten
The greatest lesson I have learned since March is that I am not so different from a kitten. Being among my fellow kittens (or humans) gives me courage and sharpens my curiosity.



I look forward to the time when I can be among people without worrying too much about a virus jumping into my body.

In the meantime, I read lots and lots of books, but I miss reading people and am keeping ready for resuming human togetherness.


Comments

Popular Posts