No big deal in Seminole County

Central Florida weather!

I had lunch in a restaurant by the Seminole Mall in Sanford with my friend Libby. As we left at 1 pm, there was such a downpour we couldn't see out the windows. Waited about 20 minutes in the vestibule with a bunch of other people for the rain to let up, then walked to the car in very light rain--you get used to that here and barely register that it's raining.

Drove to the 417 toll road (about 5 minutes away) to go home. As I got onto 417, another storm came up and was right on top of me--simultaneous thunder and lightning with another downpour. I am used to this, but after about 5 minutes, I got off 417; everyone was driving about 40 on a road where the limit is 70--no one could see.



On Rt 46, I drove through a puddle the size of Lake Ontario and kept going through the lessening rain toward the blue sky and puffy white clouds about a mile ahead. Decided to go to Publix--it was a light rain when I got there. Shopped and came out. There was so little rain, I barely noticed it.

Got back on 417. Here came another huge thunderstorm. Drove across Lake Jessup, a big lake full of alligators, in heavy rain. Florida drivers are so used to the rain that we all drove very docilely at 45-50 with no crazed person trying to go 70.

Got off 417, parked at home, took in 4 bags of groceries in one trip--still in the rain but not too bad. Unloaded the groceries and looked outside--another deluge with thunder and lightning.

Four places (within a 7-mile radius), four separate thunderstorms with driving rain, all in 2 hours. That's a typical June day in Central Florida, As long as it's not an actual hurricane, people just go about their business.

Comments

Popular Posts