An Iceberg Breaks

Today an iceberg broke off in Antarctica. For years, scientists had been watching the crack that was deepening on a particular ice shelf, waiting for the break. 

The new iceberg, as reported by  American sources, is the size of Delaware; British sources says it's twice as big as Luxembourg. This berg is big.

What I've been thinking about today is not so much rising sea levels, global warming, and the frightening speculations that the break suggests, but the idea of all that ice, floating off into the ocean. This new iceberg must be lonely.

Antarctic Iceberg by Georges Nijs
Fire and Ice
by Robert Frost


Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Comments

Popular Posts