The art and the craft

I write, and I knit.


In writing, I create with words, which by their nature are not subject to the vicissitudes of time--as long as the words are somehow recorded in a person's mind, on paper, or in the cyberworld, they endure.

Knitting, on the other hand, is firmly implanted in the physical world, where knitted items will rot like anything else.


Knitting is a craft; some people look down on it and turn it into a way for grandmas to while away the time (though the first knitters were men, making nets for fishing or socks to keep their feet warm while they tended sheep).

Shepherd sitting on raised stool and stilts. Book illustration, pen drawing
Writing is a fine art; some people see it as nearly magical.

John William Waterhouse - Magic Circle, Tate Gallery, London
I live in both worlds, the everyday and the arcane; I knit, and I write.

Comments

Popular Posts